news devices Elon Musk launches the first internet plan at 5,000 euros per month
Do you know Starlink, Elon Musk’s company that offers satellite internet subscriptions? In the middle of the countryside, the service is very helpful, although a bit pricey. Then at sea? Well, this can also be useful, but it will be much more expensive. Ladies and gentlemen, here’s Starlink Maritime, the first €5,000 online subscription signed by Elon Musk!
Elon Musk offers the Starlink Maritime subscription, an online €5,000 subscription for luxury yachts
The new Starlink show has yet to be announced with much fanfare from the podium by enthusiast Elon Musk. We understand why, bad hype for such a price is almost inevitable.
If you want to go to Netflix or JV in the middle of the Pacific, that’s always possible. However, it seems reasonable to assume that if you need or just want such luxury, you have a lot of money.
why ? Simply because having a boat internet subscription means… owning a boat. Elon Musk was very clear when announcing the Starlink Maritime, the goal, as I quote, is “high-end yachts”, small aquariums that cost nothing, hardly a few million.
A few weeks ago, Starlink released a similar package for mobile homes at “only” €124. But do not confuse everything. The excessive price is justified in many ways:
- Ultra-wealthy target audience (either big yacht owners or some big company (transportation or otherwise))
- Having satellite internet in the middle of the ocean is a very expensive technical feat. The two high seas stations have nothing to do with the mobile home antenna.
- The technology is in its infancy and is far from being mass-produced.
- Several other companies offer lower prices than Elon Musk, but the speeds offered are ridiculous, not even enough for Instagram browsing. There, Starlink advertises 350 Mbit/s and above all “low latency”. It’s way better than the competition does.
But what exactly are the prices we’re talking about? Hold on tight, the title doesn’t say everything.
Not only does the subscription cost $5,000 per month (which we translated to €5,000, the two currencies are very close at the moment and Americans don’t take VAT into account), but you also have to pay for the equipment that will be placed on your deck or deck. the ship. A small monster that costs a trifle $10,000.
Wait, it’s not over yet. As said for now, 20% of taxes are still good, but also installation, dispatch and maintenance costs…
In short, you get it, this is the most expensive internet package in the world, by far. Some will find it inappropriate, how about you?
Starlink for Elon Musk: The future of the Internet?
Starlink is an innovative satellite internet service powered by a constellation of satellites. The project was started by Elon Musk in 2015 and started work recently, Ensures a stable and fast connection for everyone, regardless of your geographical location. It is primarily intended for forgotten fibers and aims to reduce the digital divide on a large scale.
If the internet by satellite has been around for a few years, what is new here is that these satellites will not be placed in the so-called geostationary orbit, which is too high, and therefore suffers from the latency problem which is impossible to avoid. Elon Musk’s idea is to deploy thousands of satellites (12,000) in a very low orbit.
Elon Musk could use the expertise of his space company, SpaceX, to publish Stalink. Clever.
It should be noted, however, that the Starlink service has been heavily criticized, particularly by part of the scientific community.
- When the satellites are out of their lifespan, the de-orbit phases will be extremely harmful to the environment.
- These thousands of satellites cause massive light pollution as well as the drag of low Earth orbit, which is actually like a huge outdoor trash can.
You can read our Starlink review by clicking here.