The US attorney general claimed he had “personally” agreed to a search of Donald Trump’s home

In the midst of a political storm in the United States between Democrats and Republicans, Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday that he has “Personally approved” The astonishing search by the FBI on Monday at the home of former President Donald Trump in Florida.

During an extraordinary press conference, Mr. Garland did not disclose the reasons and results of this research, but did explain that it had been approved by a federal judge.

Faced with the wave of indignation that this raid aroused among the Republicans, the minister denounced ‘Unfounded attacks’ against his ministry and the Federal Police. “I personally agreed with the decision to request a search warrant for this case.”Mr. Garland said during an extremely short and rare television interview. “The ministry does not take this kind of decision lightly.”confirmed.

Unprecedented

The FBI’s unprecedented search for a former president of the United States took place Monday at Donald Trump’s luxurious residence in Mar-a-Lago, Florida. angry, 45e On Wednesday, the US President suggested on his Truth Social that the FBI might have ” Field “ evidence against him during the process. The former White House tenant wasn’t worried about justice in this way.

Read also This article is reserved for our subscribers Tax evasion accusation tarnishes, not shakes, Donald Trump myth

Does the FBI search relate to the many boxes that Donald Trump took with him when he left the White House in January 2021? Is it related to the investigation into his responsibility for the assault on the Capitol? Is it rather about the suspicions of financial fraud being subjected to the Trump Organization in New York? Mr. Garland did not disclose the reasons for the FBI search. I just alluded to a “possible cause” Justify the authorities’ decision but without being more explicit.

under pressure

The Ministry of Justice came under political and media pressure this week to comment on the research.

Members of the Republican Party united with their former president, who did not concede defeat in 2020 and plans to run again in 2024. Former Vice President Mike Pence, himself a potential challenger to Donald Trump in two years, shared it ‘deep concern’ After the FBI raid.

Read also: This article is reserved for our subscribers After the FBI searches for Donald Trump’s residence, Republicans shout out a conspiracy

The Republican billionaire also underwent a hearing under oath, Wednesday, at the New York attorney general’s office. But he pleaded for four hours more than 440 times for his right not to answer questions, under the 5e Amending the Constitution of the United States, according to American media. According to one of Mr. Trump’s lawyers, Ron Fichte, reported by NBC, the only response his client gave was to give his name.

Read also: Suspected of tax evasion, Donald Trump is silent in the face of the New York attorney general

Letitia James, the highest judge in New York state, has been investigating since 2019 on suspicion of financial and tax fraud within the Trump Organization family group.

The world with AFP

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.